PREP: 10 min; COOK: High 2 to 2 1/2 hr; FINISH: High 10 min
For an elegant dessert, place each pear upright on a pretty dessert
plate. Spoon the sauce around the pear, and sprinkle with chopped
toasted nuts or coconut. Spoon a big dollop of soft whipped cream
alongside the pear, and garnish the plate with a twisted orange slice.
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup maple-flavored syrup
1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons orange juice
1. Peel pears. Core pears from bottom, leaving stems attached. Place
pears upright in 3 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker.
2. Mix remaining ingredients except cornstarch and orange juice; pour
3. Cover and cook on high heat setting 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until tender.
4. Remove pears from cooker; place upright in serving dish or individual
5. Mix cornstarch and orange juice; stir into sauce in cooker. Cover
and cook on high heat setting about 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Spoon sauce over pears.
Makes 6 servings
For a honey of a pear, use 1/4 cup honey instead of the maple syrup
for a sweet change of pace.
Nutritional Info per 1 Serving: 225 calories (25 calories from fat);
3 g fat (0 g saturated); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 mg sodium;
52 g carbohydrate (3 g dietary fiber); 1 g protein.
This recipe courtesy of Back of the Box Recipes.
www.backofthebox.com Home Page
This recipe displayed with permission from General Mills, Inc.